Re: Questions about Cygwin's setup...

"Masterson, Dave" wrote:

> Hmmm.  The cygwin mailer does some strange things with Reply-to.  Your
> message has a Reply-to of "Earnie Boyd <cygwin@cygwin.com>".  Is this
> intentional?

Yes, it is intentional.  It's a means of keeping it in the forum and
avoiding private conversation.

> With respect to my message, it should be obvious that I'm trying to setup a
> "minimum" install of Cygwin.  My thought was that, since only I in my group
> pay attention to what goes on with Cygwin, I could maintain a central area
> where Cygwin is.

Understandable.

> I suppose I could send out occassional messages that say
> something like "rerun \\my\setup.exe to update your Cygwin", but it would be
> much better if it just happened automatically.

I thought you were setting up Cygwin itself centrally.  Once setup the
local workstation would then not need changed.

> Thus the idea of a pre-setup
> central share that I (the Cygwin admin) maintain.  Also, if the speed of the
> central share, it probably wouldn't be hard to make a batch script to mirror
> it to a local drive (which I might write).

Use wget to mirror.

> With respect to your answers:
>
> * Why not make setup a package (say "cygwinsetup") like all the rest so that
> it could potentially update itself?

Just use wget.  Setup a cron job to run weekly or what ever frequency
you desire.

Cheers,
Earnie.