Re: specs file for gcc-2.95.2-7 and -mno-cygwin

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 12:44:01PM +0000, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> >Sorry, but if you don't copy the author, I don't get to see this for a
> >while!  There's far too much traffic on that list for me to subscribe to
> >it, so I just read archives.
> >

> >> Nope.  The isystem was just to get the include order correct.  It is
> >> a recent addition.
> >
> >Then the `local' is a mistake!  I am sure it was never tested.
>
> Why is it a mistake? I added the functionality of searching the
> /usr/local/include/mingw directory and tried to preserve the
> ordering that gcc requires.

Because to get correct behaviour under -mno-cygwin one needs to search
/usr/include/mingw before the default includes.

> The fact that the mingw directory needs to be included before the
> gcc include directory is problematic.  It's counter to the way
> that gcc is supposed to operate.  I'll have to think about what
> to do there, or, better yet, Mumit or Earnie will tell me precisely
> what they want done.
>
> Anyway, I made the gcc available specifically for testing.  This is a
> work in progress.

(Sorry, but as it is under latest, that is *not* clear to me or the user
who complained to me.  What's the clue?  -7 is a magic number not part of
the series?)

> >> Could you possibly break out this diff into separate lines so that I can
> >> see what's changed?
> >
> >No, it is a single line in the specs file.  It doesn't work broken into
> >lines. Can you not apply this as patch and diff the two in emacs?
>
> I'm aware that it is not a single line in the specs file however, if you

It *is* a single line!  Look again, please.

> broke up the old and new specs file into distinct lines, a diff would
> show specifically what changed.  I don't have a problem physically viewing
> long lines.

And I did break it up and explain it for you, but that didn't get
mentioned either.

> >Oh, and although the comment suggests -mno-cygwin and -mno-win32 are
> >incompatible, that's actually what you get with -mno-cygwin by default.
> >To get the Win32 header files you need -mno-cygwin -mwin32.
>
> That's a bug.

I am feeling pretty discouraged by being told plain untruths like this: I
won't bother to try to help again.