Re: ksh93? -- also u/win question

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 10:48:49PM -0600, Matthew Smith wrote:
>>Can you give an example of some of the clever ideas in uwin?  I know
>>that they have some sort of setuid daemon or something like that but it
>>has been a while since I really investigated U/WIN.
>
>I liked the /dev/clipboard idea.  I mentioned this awhile ago, and I
>believe someone implemented this at least partially in cygwin - Charles
>was it?

Yep.  Charles implemented a read-only version of /dev/clipboard.  It
would be nice for someone to augment this.  I don't think I could sell
devoting development time for this, though.

>Uwin also has a wrapper around Visual C++ that will parse unix style
>args, and then convert them to the appropriate VC++ args.  That type of
>thing would be useful to me from a work perspective, as we use our own
>make system along with VC++.  If you have VC++ installed, Uwin will
>grab the root directory of it from the registry, and mount it on
>something like /msdev.

This would be another hard sell.  I wouldn't mind including a wrapper in
the Cygwin installation, though, assuming that we could make it
selectable somehow.  I even wrote one of these in a past life.

>The other thing it does in regards to mounts, is mount the system
>directory in a standard place,

I'm not sure I know what you mean by this.

>it will mount the registry as a filesystem.

I've always thought that this was an interesting idea.  Someone (Egor
Duda?) has indicated that it isn't as easy as it sounds.  I think that
someone has actually done a proof of concept of this, too.

>Now whether this is a good idea or not is certainly debateable.  Can
>you imagine the enraged emails from newbies that have just trashed
>their OS install after manipulating the registry?

Shudder.

cgf