Re: Optimizing away "ReadFile" calls when Make calls stat()

Jonathan Kamens wrote:

> I realize that this is a bit gross.  However, (a) surely it isn't much
> more gross than storing symbolic links inside files and reading files
> to determine whether they should look executable :-), and (b) it
> really does give a drastic performance improvement for the small price
> of not using symbolic links in your source or build tree.
>
> Please comment.

This sounds very interesting but I believe work to eliminate TWO
ReadFiles would be best; but, I don't know if this is possible.  I have
found the following set of GCC flags to have great impact with the speed
with wish Cygwin flies.  Set both the CFLAGS variable and the CXXFLAGS
variable before configuring Cygwin.

-O3 -s -fnative-struct -foptimize-register-move -fgnu-linker -ffast-math
-fnew-exceptions -frerun-loop-opt -frerun-cse-after-loop -fgcse
-fpeephole -fstrength-reduce -fthread-jumps -fexpensive-optimizations
-fvolatile -mpreferred-stack-boundary=8 -march=i686

Earnie.