Re: Optimizing away "ReadFile" calls when Make calls stat()

>  Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 14:48:48 -0500
>  From: Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
>
>  You are looking for ways to "speed up execution".  I was suggesting you
>  try the suggested switches as another means to speed up execution.  I
>  can rebuild the Cygwin dll in ~10 minutes doing a `make clean && make'.

And I will try the switches you suggested, but my point is that if
they speed up Cygwin significantly, why aren't the people who
precompile Cygwin for download using those switches by default?

>  BTW, repetitive stats are already cached which can be seen by timing an
>  `ls /bin' repetitively.

Perhaps repeated "ls /bin" calls are faster because of local
filesystem caching, but that's irrelevant to our usage because (a) we
are frequently accessing dependency files on remote filesystems which
may not be cached and (b) we don't stat the same files over and over
again, we stat many different files, surely more than are allowed to
remain in the cache, so the cache doesn't help us.

>  Also, Cygwin will always be slower than Linux.
>  Win32 is just slower.  It's like comparing a tortoise with a hare.

Win32 is slower, but not THAT much slower.  There is clearly much
overhead in Cygwin, and our goal here is to eliminate as much of that
overhead as possible.

  jik