Re: mingwin: dirent structure d_name field is pointer not array

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Reuben Thomas wrote:

> I'm not sure if this counts as a bug, but readdir as defined by POSIX has a
> field char d_name[], but in mingwin it's a char *, which caused me a fair
> amount of grief working out why I was getting rubbish for the contents of
> directories...

POSIX simply says that readdir() returns pointer to a structure that
contains a member named d_name, which is guaranteed to be null terminated
string; the length is unspecified, but no longer than NAME_MAX. Given
this specification, how is the Mingw behaviour not correct?

If you can provide a testcase, we'll of course look at it. I'm assuming
that you're not messing with d_name directly, but rather having problems
using readdir(). Any code that directly modifies `struct dirent' is non
conforming, and that's not something we can do anything about.

Regars,
Mumit