Need help with (ediff) vc-resolve-conflicts / pcl-cvs-interactive-merge / ntemacs v 21

Version info:

ntemacs  20.7.1
diff     2.7-cygwin-990830 (comes with latest version of cygwin)
diff3    2.7-cygwin-990830 (comes with latest version of cygwin)
ediff    2.70.2 and 2.75

I'm having two problems with ntemacs functionality for resolving (CVS)
merge conflicts. This functionality is available via two different
commands, (1) vc-resolve-conflicts and (2) the "Interactive merge"
command available in pcl-cvs buffers. Both of these command access
common, underlying ediff functionality.

Anyway, here is the first problem. Using the version of ediff that
ships with ntemacs (v 2.70.2), when I invoke either of the above
mentioned commands, and step to the first merge conflict, I get the
error message:

/usr/bin/diff3: unrecognized option `--binary'^M
/usr/bin/diff3: Try `/usr/bin/diff3 --help' for more information.^M

To try to get around this problem, I downloaded ediff 2.75. This time
when I invoke either of the commands and then step to the first
difference, the message "Only white-space differences in region 1 in
buffer A & B" appears in the minibuffer, but, in fact, the differences
are more than just white space differences.

The contents of the ediff buffer "*ediff-fine-diff*" are:

====1^M
1:1c^M
  test3^M
2:1c^M
3:1c^M
  test2^M

1. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

2. I'm kind of suspicious that it is the "^M"'s that might be causing
the problem. How can I get rid of them?

3. Can anyone verify that this problem doesn't exist in the upcoming
version 21 of ntemacs?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Chuck