Re: Cygwin Termcap information involving extended ascii charicters

> Hi!
>
> Monday, 26 February, 2001 Uther Pendragon uther@uth3r.dhs.org wrote:
>
> >> what  exactly do you mean by "extended ascii tables" here? if you mean
> >> characters  with  ascii  codes  0x80-0xff then no special tty commands
> >> are  needed  to output them in cygwin console: cygwin console is 8-bit
> >> one.  So  the answer to your question is "currently it's simply ignore
> >> them"
>
> UP> but this means that several programs that use the extended ascii
charicters
> UP> by changing the charicter set will not, i.e. midnight commander, the
colors
> UP> and function keys work, but the box and edge graphics wont show
correctly,
> UP> is there any future plans to correct this?
>
> Box  characters have nothing to do with extended ascii codes. They are
> described in acsc capability in your terminfo entry. Your problem with
> mc  arise from the fact that windows consoles have 2 modes -- ansi and
> oem.   Original  terminfo  entry  was  written for oem mode, which was
> default  at that time. Sometime ago cygwin have changed its default to
> ansi   mode and it lead to problem with box characters -- in ansi mode
> box   characters  have different codes.
>
> To  solve  your  problem  you  have  two   options. You can either set
> cygwin default console mode to 'oem' by  adding    'codepage:oem'   to
> your CYGWIN variable, or change acsc capability in terminfo entry.
>
> Egor.            mailto:deo@logos-m.ru ICQ 5165414 FidoNet 2:5020/496.19

ok, sorry to bother you again, any maybe i am just blind, but i cant find
the CYGWIN variable you speak of, I found a couple posts about it, most of
them you wrote, but they all seem very cryptic to me, and they dont seem to
tell me what i am looking for.. sorry, but i just started using cygwin, and
i dont know where everything is yet..