Re: What is the ;atest status of df on Win9x/ME??

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 08:15:57AM -0700, Mark Paulus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw over the weekend that df is returning me a value of 2.0GB for
> all the important values on my WinME/Fat32  machine.  I know that df is
> working correctly on Win2K/Fat32, so I checked the FAQ, and it states
> that :
> 1:  It's out of date
> 2:  there is a problem with the winapi stat command.
> 3:  Does anyone want to take it on?
>
> So, my question:  What is the actual status, and what needs to
> be done to fix it?  I might be willing to "tackle" the problem, if
> I had a bit more info...

It's a problem of the `statfs' call in Cygwin. It uses
GetDiskFreeSpace to get the values. That function is documented
to be broken in 95. Thanks to Microsoft there's no surprisingly
correct behaviour of that function in later releases (98/ME)
but instead it's backward compatible (aka still broken).

The correct way would be to use GetDiskFreeSpaceEx in statfs()
additionally. It's a minor patch but it's also a minor problem
so it falls behind, most of the time. If you want to step forward
for a patch, feel free.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.