newbie question

I am sure that you have heard this question a million times before, but here
it goes.  I am wanting to develop unix applications on windows under cygwin.
Can I set up the gcc to compile elf binaries for use on a unix platform?  if
so, could someone point me in the right direction on how to do so?  Thanks

grant monroe