Setting -mno-cygwin in an environment variable

I have a number of ANSI C projects that I frequently migrate between my
Linux box and my Cygwin box.  I prefer to compile with the -mno-cygwin flag
on my Cygwin box because I don't use anything other than pure ANSI
functions, so I don't want to require the cygwin DLL (in order to all me to
execute the program on a box which has not had Cygwin installed).  Up until
now, I have simply included a "NO_CYGWIN" flag in my makefiles, which is set
to "-mno-cygwin" when I compile on the Cygwin box and set to nothing when I
compile on the Linux box.

I would like to automate this process somewhat.  I was wondering:

a) Are there any (Cygwin specific) environment variables that "gcc"
recognizes that would allow me to specify -mno-cygwin simply by setting such
a variable?  (I don't see any in the info file for gcc.)

b) If not then, if I were to add such a capability, could I post the patch
to this list and hope to see it propagated to the gcc development team, or
would I have to join the gcc mailing list and submit the patch directly
there and wait for it to propagate to cygwin?

(Personally, I am hoping that the answer to part (a) is "yes, simply set the
GCC_DEFAULT_MACHINE environment variable to -mno-cygwin and you'll get the
behavior that you want".)

I've tried browsing the mailing list archive, but do you have any idea how
many hits it finds when searching for things like "gcc", "environment
variable", or "-mno-cygwin" (which gets parsed into "mno" and "cygwin" --
lots of hits on that last one)?

I suppose the final option would be for me to finally learn to use automake
and to switch between the two boxes that way.  If somebody could point me at
a good beginners tutorial for that, I can try that path as well.

Thanks...
--wpd