upgraded gdb won't trace code

I wanted to upgrade to the newest gdb (remember that the one currently built for cygwin is the 5.0 release and doesn't
follow the mount table correctly).  Anyway,
it is the same version that I built as a cross debugger (snapshot 20010306).

I compile the gdb (i686-pc-cygwin) and compile a target executable t.exe to test the new debugger.   I then run "gdb
t.exe" and the code comes up in the window
But I can't run or step through the program from within gdb.  Any clue as to why not?

sps

#include <stdio.h>

int a = 5;

main ()