Re: building the _tkinter.a or _tkinter.dll for cygwin

Norman Vine wrote:

> Charles S. Wilson writes:
> >Be warned that doing this will clobber the pseudo-X11 include file
> >"/usr/include/X11/x11.h" that is part of the cygwin xpm package; this
> >include file is for the "noX" version of xpm.
>
> Nope
>
>  noX xpm installs
> /usr/include/X11/simx.h
> /usr/include/X11/xpm.h
>
>  and noX Tk installs
> /usr/include/X11/cursorfont.h
> /usr/include/X11/keysym.h
> /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h
> /usr/include/X11/X.h
> /usr/include/X11/Xatom.h
> /usr/include/X11/Xfuncproto.h
> /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h
> /usr/include/X11/Xutil.h
>
> so there is no clash :-)

Doh!  I forgot about that fix in xpm.h.  It *used* to always include
some random X11 header file, and *that* header file was included in the
xpm dist and clashed with tk/tcl.  NOW, if XPM_NO_X || FOR_MSW, xpm.h
only includes "simx.h"; xpm.h includes X11 headers if the previous flags
are NOT defined.  So, the extraneous X11 files are not included in the
xpm dist.

Implication:  you can't build X-based xpm apps unless you also have the
x11 headers / libs installed in /usr/X11R6/*.  Fair enough -- and there
is no conflict with tk/tcl.

Thanks for the correction.

> >Why can't the tcl/tk x11 include files live in the *normal*
> >/usr/X11R6/include/X11 location?
>
> This would work but ....
>
> FWIW
> I believe that /usr/include/X11 is where they were installed
> before they were pulled from the distribution, and wouldn't
> putting them there cause real 'X' conflicts ?

probably. :-)

--Chuck