no special key working

Can someone explain because no key, except alphabet, numbers and a few
(space, return, backspace, etc), works in any cygwin application? bash
beeps and prints a "~", sh simply does nothing. An example? the Del key.
Pretty awkward to type without a Del key. Not only this, they don't
support Alt+numpad combinations either. I have an Italian keyboard, we
don't have backquote, tilde, and some other funky characters you can
find on an American keyboard. At least the curly braces combinations
work (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-è, Ctrl-Alt-Shift-+ -- believe it. Never asked
yourself why C, born in America, uses curly braces that much, and
Pascal, born in Germany, uses them for comments only?). The only way I
know to type a tilde ("~", for you Shift+1, for me Alt+126) in bash is
pressing Del, not even pasting text works. At least I found an
alternative ($(...)) to replace backquotes in Bash