Security hole? Request to list for help re: inet.exe on win2k/win98. Tried various FAQs all past week.

No one seems to be on #CygWin on openprojects irc, btw.   Is there another
server I should be trying?
Anyway.  Sorry for adding yet another help request to a swamped list, but
I've been searching all over the web, the archives, and irc for any similar
experiences, without success.

Problem seems to be authenticating.
A basic inetd.conf, copied from this list's archives:
ftp          stream tcp nowait nemo /usr/sbin/in.ftpd.exe in.ftpd.exe
telnet       stream tcp nowait nemo /usr/sbin/in.telnetd.exe in.telnetd.exe

Identical save for s/root/nemo/ since I only have one account on the win98
machine, named nemo.  (although, strangely, for reasons my ignorance of
inetd's workings cannot fathom,
I get identical results whether it is "root" or "nemo")
For now, didn't do daemon setup, just ./inetd -d in /usr/sbin
Result, telneting in to my machine  worked from any location I tried.
Trouble is, no authentication occurred.
$ telnet localhost
Connected to nautilus.xxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxxxxx.
Escape character is '^]'.
$ exiConnection closed by foreign host.

This is the result using ftp:
$ ftp localhost
Connected to nautilus.xxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxxxxx.
220 nautilus FTP server (GNU inetutils 1.3.2) ready.
Name (localhost:nemo):
530 User nemo access denied.
ftp: Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.

Here is my /etc/passwd at the moment:

So, any thoughts?  I'll post the problems with win2k tomorrow. :)
Sorry for excess paranoia in xxx'ing out domain, but am arguably concerned
about giving out any information when my computer seems to allow anyone to
wander in without authentication.

Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: