Re: Compiler option questions

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 09:12:44PM -0700, Larry wrote:
>I have downloaded and installed the Cygwin package and it works despite my
>having NO knowledge of Unix or C. My objectives are VERY limited. I want to
>learn PowerPC assembly language and I thought that doing some C compiles and
>looking over the assembly source output would be helpful. So, all I want to
>do is make the GCC compiler generate PowerPC assembly code to some file that
>I can look over. In checking the documentation it seems that I can tell the
>compiler to generate code for a Powerpc machine by using the "-mpowerpc"
>parameter. It also seems that I can tell the compiler to quit after
>generating this code by using the "-s" parameter. I'm entering these options
>on the command line like:
>"gcc hello.c -mpowerpc -s", but it isn't working. Thanks for any help.

You can't do this.  If you want to build PowerPC binaries, you have to find
a compiler and linker that is designed to do this.  The Cygwin compiler is
built to produce Windows executables.

You can build a PowerPC cross-compiler but it is not an easy task.
Unfortunately this is not the forum for learning how to do this. would be one place to start.

Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: