Setup destroys working Cygwin installation completely!

Hello DJ,

yeterday (one week ago - mail bounced) setup destroyed my Cygwin
installation completely!

Normally I use setup to download all files to a local directory. Next step
is to start setup again and install the new versions from disk. Fine. On
Staurday I had a bad connection and I sjipped the download of the new gcc
and openssh versions. Installing afterwards from disk I got the message,
that gcc and openssh was missing in the specified version. Well I forgot to
skip them in the local setup again.

Yesterday I detected that I didn't have a gcc anymore! Uups. So I started
the setup again doing a local install to install an older version. Setup
showed me the two packages for gcc and openssh, but unfortunately, I did not
have any of the versions for gcc setup was offering (using Prev/Curr/Exp) -
my last one was older. Pressing OK and - uuuuuuuups - setup was uninstalling
ash, binutils, ... until I kicked it with the task manager! Whoops. Cygwin
installation was destroyed!

Last resort: I've deleted all files in /etc/setup, edited downloaded
setup.ini by hand to insert the versions I had on disk and reinstalled from
disk again. Fine.

Well, this behavior just rang a bell in my mind .... ever wondered why so
many people in the last time seemed to have incomplete installations ... ???
Not me, not now!

Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: