Tex and Latex setup

I have little experience with Tex and Latex. I have the latest
distribution of Cygwin (1.1.8) with Tex. I tried to use it with a
program makefile that includes  documentation generation using Tex and
latex. I get an error message that it can't find latex.fmt,
pdflatex.fmt, and etc.

I tried a number of methods to configure tex, but nothing works. Do I
need additional software, or how do I get these .fmt files?