This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: non-setup.exe package install?
- To: joshuadfranklin at yahoo dot com
- Subject: Re: non-setup.exe package install?
- From: DJ Delorie <dj at delorie dot com>
- Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:47:16 -0400
- CC: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> Is it possible to add one package without using setup.exe? Say you
> have your Cygwin just the way you'd like it and then become a vi
> fanatic and just have to have the latest vim. I know you can just
> tar -zcvf vim-foo.tar.gz in /, but what else does setup.exe do to
> keep track of an install?
/etc/setup/ contains installed.db which says what's installed, and
gzipped listings of the files in each installed package. Setup uses
those to decide what needs upgrading, and how to uninstall previous
versions of packages.
Otherwise, a simple "tar xvfz" will suffice to install a package
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple