Re: G++ guru's please comment - Re: FW: pthread_create problem in Cygwin 1.1.8-2]

Hi folks,

On 10 Apr 2001, at 16:01, the Illustrious Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 08:00:10AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> >> This is one of those situations where it looks like gcc can't be
> >> released until a version of cygwin is released with the requisite
> >> functionality.
> >
> >What's missing? I have a list of over 20 functions in front of me that
> >I've just coded stubs for...
>
> What I was referring to is that if we release a version of gcc which
> relies on functions available only in cygwin snapshots that's clearly a
> problem.
>
> I don't know specifically what pthread functionality gcc uses, however.

	There was some discussion about adding a new namespace for -pthreads
for gnu/open source pthread libraries.

Here's the first link:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2000-06/msg00007.html

follow-up link:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2000-06/msg00012.html

	I am not sure if this addresses the specific question...it appears
that gcc pthreads is non-platform dependent, though there are some
targets (aix/hp-ux) that may choke on the current Gnu C pthread
implementation.

	I also seem to remember something about the pthread library being
required for Gnu C++.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

> cgf