This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: cvs broken on win2k after recent cygwin upgrade: "The descriptor is a file, not a socket"
- To: "Matthew D. Langston" <langston at SLAC dot Stanford dot EDU>
- Subject: Re: cvs broken on win2k after recent cygwin upgrade: "The descriptor is a file, not a socket"
- From: ht at cogsci dot ed dot ac dot uk (Henry S. Thompson)
- Date: 12 Apr 2001 13:53:19 +0100
- Cc: Dmitrii Pasechnik <dima at cs dot uu dot nl>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- References: <Pine.GSO.email@example.com><002e01c0b29d$c880d5b0$0401a8c0@trinity><firstname.lastname@example.org><010e01c0bafa$f04d9320$2b904f86@trinity>
"Matthew D. Langston" <langston@SLAC.Stanford.EDU> writes:
> This is an update to a problem I have been having where I am unable to get
> cvs 1.11 with cygwin 1.1.8 to work with Win2K SP1. Specifically, cvs
> doesn't work when using pserver (i.e. for anonymous cvs checkouts), but it
> does work for SSH checkouts (i.e. by using the "ext" protocol and setting
> the environment variable CVS_RSH=ssh).
> >From several posts within the last few weeks about this issue, it appears
> that a non-working pserver mode only affects a few users under Win2K SP1.
> Others who have "identical" installations claim that cvs + pserver works
> just fine for them. Therefore, I wanted to report to the list that I have
> found a workaround for using cvs + pserver under Win2K SP1 that at least
> works for me, which is using WinCVS available at http://www.wincvs.org.
> So, if the cygwin cvs and pserver don't work for you, maybe WinCVS can help.
Right, I also recently found a native windows cvs, and it does _not_
have the 'descriptor is a file' problem. So I used it to update my
source tree, rebuilt cygwin, and . . . it still _does_ have the
But I now can debug again, since I have a with-symbols up-to-date
cygwin1.dll -- will be happy to try anything Corinna or anyone else
can suggest to try to track this down.
Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of Edinburgh
W3C Fellow 1999--2001, part-time member of W3C Team
2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LW, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: email@example.com
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple