CYGWIN file structure

We are writing a driver in CYGWIN to read an image file from a directory
on the hard disk.  The files are placed there every few seconds by a
webcam, and they are named "image1.tif", "image2.tif", etc.  We know the
directory they are in, and we know that they are named "image[num].tif",
but we are having trouble finding utilities to examine filenames in
cygwin.

Can you help (our senior project is due thursday morning)