Re: more info on cvs

Technically, I think the cvs protocol itself expects that paths are
specified using backslash.  However, certain implementations/ports of
cvs to native windows have relaxed that, so that Windows users can use
"normal" backslashes when specifying pathnames.  Then, netbeans/forte
took that laxness as license (or perhaps the developers at Sun just
said, "Hey, windows -- paths have backslashes -- okay, we'll do that
too")

What we're left with is this: we can either (a) limit pathnames to using
only '/' as specified by the spec (which also, BTW, explicitly *allows*
'\' as a normal char in a filename !!!), or (b) violate the spec and
adapt cvs on cygwin to explicitly convert '\' to '/' every time.

The problem is, some remote system to which your local cygwin-cvs client
talks, might have a file with a *legal* name containing '\'.  What do we
do then?

I'm in favor of (b), and treat the "problem" above as another
windows-ism (like the fact that "aux" is an illegal name on windows but
is FINE everywhere else on the planet...)

--Chuck

P.S. Sorry for being slow to respond, Heitzso, but I've been very busy
with (a) my job (b) cygwin release 1.3.0^H1, (c) ncurses release 5.2-5
lately. :-)  I "maintain" about 20 packages and it's getting to be
pretty overwhelming...