Re[2]: Symlinking in win9x is now possible at kernel-level!

Tuesday, May 08, 2001, 3:48:54 PM, you wrote:

KI>> Of course. I don't want to say all native programs will run correctly.
KI>> But some of them will and in fact they do. The ability to turn
KI>> symlinking on/off dynamically allows all programs running properly
KI>> (but gives a headache for the user who has to turn them on/off ;)

ed> some programs may fail is some subtle way, making administration of
ed> such system rather painful. so, while being quite interesting from
ed> theoretical point of view, it's hardly applicable in real-life
ed> situations.

It *is* applicable when you need to symlink one file to another for
*all* programs in Windows'9x, not only for cygwin's ports. Is it
really so hard to understand?

ed> well, how about normal cygwin's open() vs. CreateFile()+your driver?

It is exactly what I tested. ~1.2.

If you are intereseted in cygwin' open() + cygwin1.dll + my driver --
it is very slow, two times slower (don't know why, it should be faster).

ed> i don't expect big performance gain, because both approaches require
ed> reading first bytes of file, which may reside far away from the
ed> directory entry itself. but, i think that CreateFile()+driver should
ed> be somewhat faster.

I don't care of speed in this case, it can't be noticed by me in real life anyway.
If you care -- well, I can't help. I wrote that driver just because I need
it. And I thought it could be useful to somebody else. That's all about
this.

--
Konstantin Isakov