Re: The security of OpenSSH with cygwin.

----- Begin Hush Signed Message from joetesta@hushmail.com -----

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>  On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 09:35:22AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>
>  >I know of at least one showstopper: It's currently possible for any
>  >cygwin process to get a win32 handle with full access rights to any
>  >other cygwin process. See the archives of the developer list for more
>  >detail. (search on daemon - Egor has proposed a daemon to resolve the
>  >issue).
>
>  Right.  I cannot emphasize strongly enough that Cygwin is NOT A SECURE
>  ENVIRONMENT.  Do NOT trust it with sensitive data.  It is trivially
>  easy to hack.
>
>  cgf

My Windows programming days ended awhile ago, so pardon me if this is incorrect
or doesn't make sense.

Under Windows 9x and Millenium, there is no (respectable) security model,
 so if someone was in the position to get one cygwin process to read and
write to another, wouldn't they already be in the position to do something
easier, like... run a keylogger to capture the password?  It seems to me
that in these operating systems, cygwin's process insecurity is a moot issue.

Now this brings me to another question:  what does this mean in Windows
NT/2000?  I have no experience with these operating systems, but here's
what I dare to assume:  the security model would disallow this inter-process
mingling.

Are there any other issues, proven or otherwise, that anyone is aware of?

    - Joe Testa
e-mail:   joetesta@hushmail.com
web page: http://hogs.rit.edu/~joet
AIM:      LordSpankatron

----- Begin Hush Signature v1.3 -----
Arhwe8gl3dMPHEYOtaesUcOnUXk8wFpF38XU3UHecptMarOrzoYF33sjiklWUT+uaDSh
00495B3UnrUxfsULXYoNSn0lfZsj85It3xA3vuE4c60Y+Kb96NoeCf5IF7q54expsyan
5mltk6CIaP3M2dTHkCEon3zYeX2iq4yPoa2CRQBhAdaoJ47t5Bym78pchhhbrTOT16Aw
1NpMzB1TOIW4S3rSZaz4ZHLloTpwgcGIgjDTBEbpYWbgjrAOPXU3c2YqqLa2p8vxnGjN
o8dNEdlW2A0JSePV8+dB2Vy8Uc5bPF/AXTPt9S8j/bUMqNC/Rj03Fz3kHKEYQyIEsYBF
lh9isz8j1qy1peQWZcq35qOiceQQi5b7SRzS8m1ipf5QwysKzfo5yPf+EpCN/DCjiHc6
DLxrErSI6BO1cLyP4o9uRd4vIRgMVMbC8dTH/IOJyI5pooX5qDgDx6BGwxuxunPz2Weu
Pfz3HZvHdkruExb91CfmEMIGydPU28bzr5VvSORsbqB5
----- End Hush Signature v1.3 -----

This message has been signed with a Hush Digital Signature.
To verify the signature, please go to www.hush.com/tools

Free, encrypted, secure Web-based email at www.hushmail.com