Re: ntsec or not ? [Was: Default user accounts ?]

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 09:51:47AM -0000, piotr cygwin wrote:
> I need also some advice from your experience: as I said, I run WinNT4, but
> still with FAT filesystems, and I wonder if I should enable or not ntsec ? I
> mean: personnaly I don't really mind about ownership and permissions of
> files and processes, but I plan to install and compile various applications,
> and maybe some developement tools are sensitive these points. Your opinion ?

ntsec is useless with FAT, except if you want to use different accounts.
However, I don't understand the decision to use FAT. NTFS is more
reliable and faster. On big partitions you're losing disk space using FAT
due to the big blocksize.

> Also: I try to rlogin from cygwin to a remote Unix machine. I've added an
> entry in the .rhost file of the remote machine:
> <name of the PC-cygwin> <my cygwin username>
> but I'm still prompted with the password. Is it also an ntsec issue ?

No, the permissions of your .rhosts file have to be 0600.

> [BTW: is it possible to rlogin to cygwin from another machine ?]

Sure.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.