RE: sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX) limit

I just had that discussion off-list...

The maximum number of handles per process is 65,536, shared across
mutex's, open files, pipes, spinlocks etc. Note that cygwin may uses
more than 1 handles per fd for some fd's (ie two unidirectional pipes..)

Programs like squid and other servers will want a large number of fd's
avilable, so I suggest 16K as  a reasonable compromise.

Rob