RE: Cygwin: Interoperability Is Important (was Cygwin: Open or Closed System, etc)

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing about the design goal. I simply want to
make a very small but important point... "cygwin" that is the
cygwin1.dll has full support for ms dos or more accurately win32
pathnames. Call fstat(), or fopen() or ... and give it a ms dos
pathname. If there is a real file with that msdos pathname the call will
behave as you would expect it to.

Finito. Done. No problems. Possibly minor tweaks needed for performance
or bugfixing.

<snip>

> current directory on drive a.  i can't claim that with certainty now,
> considering your mention of NTFS streams.  i've not encountered that
> usage you're describing yet.  is that accessible in command prompts?

$ echo "c" > "foo"
$ echo "a" >  "foo:1"
$ echo "b" > "foo:2"

now cat foo - it will still be "c". cat foo:1 and get "a".

Snip.

Rob