Re: Pipe "make" stdout and stderr to process?

You want:

make 2>&1 | filterprog

You want the redirection of stderr->stdout to apply to your first
command and send the resulting stdout to the second command.

What's really fun is when you want to save stdout and stderr to a file
AND print them to the screen.  That's what the tee program is for (it
takes its stdin and writes it to stdout and a file).  So when I'm
building something I'll often do something like this:

make 2>&1 | tee make.out

That way I can see that all's going well and know that there's a log
file I can refer to later.  Although another way to accomplish the same
thing is to just do

make > make.out 2>&1
tail -f make.out

The problem there is that I often get confused about whether the 2>&1
should come before or after the > make.out.  I know the first way works,
so I always do that.

-Sandeep

Karr, David wrote:

> How do I run "make" so I can pass both stdout and stderr to a filtering
> process?  I'm familiar with writing the output to a file, taking both stdout
> and stderr ("make > make.out 2>&1"), but I don't see how to get this to work
> if I just want to pipe the output (both stdout and stderr) to another
> process.  When I do "make | filterprog 2>&1", it seems to have no effect, in
> that it appears as if the stderr from "make" goes directly to the console.
>>From reading the "bash" man page, it almost seems as if redirection doesn't
> apply to piping.
>
> --

Sandeep V. Tamhankar