Help building gcc 3.0 for arm-elf under cygwin

Hi,

I've had an ongoing problem for ... oh ... maybe a year? compiling any
version of arm-elf-gcc newer than 2.95.2 under cygwin; I've never truly
managed it properly. Below is a copy of my latest problems (with gcc 3.0
release).

Alexandre Oliva suggested that this looks suspiciously like a known mmap
bug in an earlier edition of the cygwin DLL. In my system uname -r replies
1.1.8(0.34/3/2).

Any ideas on how I can fix this? Known bug/issue? Workaround?

Any suggestions eagerly attempted and returned with profuse gratitude :)

>Yeah, it's me again :) Somewhere in the universe, somebody else must be
>using cygwin; where are you all guys?
>
>I periodically try downloading and building the latest version of gcc, and
>I just tried 3.0 release for the first time. Still no way to build this
>configured for arm-elf, at least not under cygwin. What is the cure for
>this??? :(
>
>I'm using the exact procedure I used to build 2.95.2, but it just doesn't
>work under cygwin. I get thousands of errors about too many levels of
>nested #ifdefs.
>
>I patched the following files:
>
>gcc-3.0/gcc/config/arm/elf.h
>gcc-3.0/gcc/config/arm/unknown-elf.h
>gcc-3.0/gcc/config/arm/xm-arm.h
>
>with
>#ifndef FOO
>#define
>{header contents}
>#endif
>
>and compile proceeds further. I then have to patch BUILDDIR/tconfig.h
>similarly as above to get further. Then I get this error:
>
>/src/gcc-3.0/gcc/longlong.h:2377:9: warning: no newline at end of file
>/src/gcc-3.0/gcc/longlong.h:2370:1: unterminated #if
>/src/gcc-3.0/gcc/longlong.h:2362:1: unterminated #ifdef
>/src/gcc-3.0/gcc/longlong.h:2359:1: unterminated #else
>/src/gcc-3.0/gcc/longlong.h:2350:1: unterminated #ifdef
>
>This file has only 1488 lines, and I don't know what I can do to get past
>this error.
>
>Help :((

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
Embedded Engineer, Digi-Frame Inc.
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Tel (914) 937-4090 9am-6:30pm M-F ET
Personal: http://www.larwe.com/ http://www.zws.com/

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight
that knows not victory nor defeat."
(Theodore Roosevelt)