RE: building gcc/g++ seems OK but building g77 seems to be seriously broken

I would recommend installing installing dejagnu-1.4.1 (which you need for
libstdc++-v3) and fixing a line break problem
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/dejagnu/2001-May/000031.html

I posted some stuff about this to the cygwin, dejagnu and cygwin lists
earlier this year.  Try searching google using "cygwin dejagnu g77
billinghurst" for some background.