RE: problem with tar -xvzf and permissions on W2K

By the way the "-" is depreciated. tar zxvf (hey just how I type it) will
do.

>created, files
>were not extracted into it because of permission errors.  When
>I checked
>the Windows permissions on these folders, I found that
>ownership had been
>assigned to "Administrator", not "Administrators", permissions were

Yes the owner will be Adminstrator, That is the default for NT.
Administrators is a local group, not an account.
Hmmn. Are you using ntsec? Are you part of a domain? It looks as though your
/etc/passwd and /etc/group files are not properly configured.

> I was able to extract the package just fine using Power Archiver for
Windows.

I wouldn't expect this to continue. The problem is not tar or gzip or bzip2
but with your security setup.

It is also a Windows NT "feature" that if you were to copy a file using a
program like explorer or something simillar, the ownership will set to
administrator as long as you have administrative permissions on the machine.
This is regardless of what your actuall account name is.

--Neil

Please Note :
Only  the intended recipient is authorised to access or use this e-mail.  If
you are not the intended recipient,
please delete this e-mail and notify the sender immediately.   The contents
of this e-mail are the writer's
opinion and are not necessarily endorsed by the Gunz Companies unless
expressly stated.

We use virus scanning software but exclude all liability for viruses or
similar in any attachment.