Re: TCP Wrappers Port

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 07:45:15PM -0400, Prentis Brooks wrote:
> 	It has been a while since I pushed up the previous mods, so how do
> you all want me to send these up?

Ok, here's the deal.

Currently we have a package stop until the new setup is finished.
It will support package grouping and dependencies.

As soon as that's done we will be glad to put new packages into
the Cygwin net distro...

... IF ...

the person who wants a package included into the net distro is
willing to act as the Cygwin package maintainer which basically
means

- ports new versions of the package to Cygwin,
- tries to resubmit the Cygwin specific patches to the main
  package maintainer,
- is responsible for reviewing and applying patches of other
  people,
- is at least part time available on the cygwin mailing list
  to answer user questions.

The problem is simply that we can't use packages which are
not maintained. Somebody has to care. I know at least from
Chris, Charles and me that we don't want to add another
package to our responsibilities since we all have already
20+ packages to maintain.

The Cygwin net distro is a community effort and we really need
more maintainers.

>  Since you need this to have openssh
> support the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files, is there any desire to ask
> Corinna to include this in inetutils/openssh and compile openssh accordingly?

I have no problem to compile and maintain OpenSSH with
tcp_wrapper support iff tcp_wrapper is a package of the
net distro. But I will not include tcp_wrappers into
the inetutils or openssh package. It is not part of these
packages and it doesn't belong there.

Are you willing to maintain the Cygwin tcp_wrappers package
as part of the net distro?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.