Re: "Prepend" doesn't mean what you think it means (OFF-TOPIC)

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 03:56:46PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 07:35:08PM -0600, Clarke Echols wrote:
>>
>> "Prepend" is a very obscure word which means literally to premeditate,
>> as in, "He looked at her with malice prepended."
>
>To start, my maiden language is not English.
>
>Looking up in things in the dictionary, prepend doesn't exist,
>except in the jargon files, where it means add to the beginning.
>
>Maybe you mean something like perpend?
>
>>From the dictionary:
>   Etymology: Middle English, from Latin perpendere, from per-thoroughly
>   + pendere to weigh -- more at PER-, PENDANT
>   Date: 15th century
>   transitive senses : to reflect on carefully : PONDER
>   intransitive senses : to be attentive : REFLECT

This inane thread is off-topic.  I'd hoped that it would have died down
by now but I can see that isn't going to happen.

Please take it up in private email or find a more appropriate mailing
list to discuss the finer points of English vocabulary.

If anyone has a problem with the documentation then submit a patch.

cgf