Re: libiconv-1.7 on cygwin-1.3.2 problems

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Hi Mr. Haible,
>
> Libiconv doesn't build OOTB on cygwin.
> There was a problem with libcharset. See makelog below.
> I inserted 'main() {}' to localcharset.c so that it compiles,
> but that is not the correct way (i think).
>
> And now it doesn't run...Windows popup tells me that iconv.exe couldn't
> be initialized.
> I don't know what to do else.
> I tried to debug, but there is only assembly to be seen, look
> the error message of gdb in the attached snapshot please. (It is
> really a .jpg, no virus)

Take a look at
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/robert-collins/

You'll see my collection of *EXPERIMENTAL* packages (binutils, automake,
robert's hack-up libtool, etc.  These tools were used to build -- yep,
you guessed it -- libiconv.  My version passes all tests; I didn't have
to modify the libiconv source (.c), just the tools and the .in and .m4
configuration files.

Anyway, you don't need to use my special tools to USE iconv, but you DO
need the patched binutils to link to libiconv-2.dll.

You're free to use these ports, but I will provide NO support. Zero.
"It works for me." (Also, note that the list will provide no support if
you choose to replace your "official" versions of automake, binutils,
etc with these *EXPERIMENTAL* versions.)

--Chuck