From: Prentis Brooks [mailto:prentis@aol.net]
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 1:14 PM
To: egor duda
Cc: HRebs@heyde.de
Subject: Re: Can't kill other users processes

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, egor duda wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Monday, 06 August, 2001 HRebs@heyde.de HRebs@heyde.de wrote:
>
> Hhd> Even if I am loged on as root (administrator) I can't kill other
> Hhd> users processes.
> Hhd> Kill always complains: Not owner!
>
> this is by design. if some user was able to kill other user's
> processes it would be serious breach in security. Unices don't allow
> this too.

hrmmm. except on Unix the root user can kill anything, this is a good point.
And, I am able to kill other user's pids, as long as I am root, haven't
tested
domain admin, but local root (Administrator) can nuke other pids.

I have my CYGWIN var setup with "binmode ntsec tty"
HRebs,
	Can you respond with the output of a cygcheck -s?

> Egor.            mailto:deo@logos-m.ru ICQ 5165414 FidoNet 2:5020/496.19
>

> --

Prentis Brooks	| prentis@aol.net | 703-265-0914 | AIM: PrentisB
System Administrator - Web Infrastructure & Security

       A knight is sworn to valor.  His heart knows only virtue.  His blade
       defends the helpless.  His word speaks only truth.  His wrath undoes
the
       wicked. - the old code of Bowen, last of the dragonslayers