Trouble starting kde

Hi,
I am a Unix System Administrator and I recently installed Cygwin on my Win 2K box.  It's a Pentium III 650 laptop with 128 MB of RAM.  My problem is that I am unable to start kde.  When I try to run "startkde", the ipc-daemon starts and then after about a 20 second wait in which my CPU is pounded, I get the following:

kpanel: waiting for windowmanager
kwm: it looks like there's already a window manager running.  kwm not started

I log into my Unix boxes via Exceed so I use that as my X transport method.  For example, with my display properly set, I can bring up other X-based apps from a cygwin bash shell.

Anyway, do you have any ideas as to how I can fix the kde problem?

Thanks,
Steven LeCompte
BoeCom II / SRP II System Administration, G-5530 Webmaster
Cell Phone: 206-853-4369        Pager: 206-797-7855
mailto:steven.j.lecompte@boeing.com     M/S 6C-JF