Slowing down the machine

Using the latest of everything (as of 08/20):
Windows98se (4.10.2222), Mem=196Meg

Running bash in an rxvt window, everything starts out well but deteriorates.
After running a build (configure,make,make check,make install) I observe
that the machine has taken on a very peculiar pattern: about one second
during which there is a lot of disk activity, followed by three seconds
during which there is no activity of any kind.  During these "quiet" times
the GUI is not able to follow the mouse, and keys aren't acted on --
apparently no program is able to get to the message queue.
Also, the clock runs slow.  By the end of the build - about 3 hours - the
clock is about 2 hours slow.  This suggests that the slowdown started
fairly early in the build and that the CPU is being so tightly tied up that
the system clock routine never gets driven.

IIRC, there was some discussion here about a case where the Cygwin DLL has
to spin-lock.  Is that the case?  Is there something I could do to avoid
this behavior (other than installing a more reasonable OS)?

Thanks,

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around nice guy.
Get my PGP key at