This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: Problem with root account, login, X, KDE, etc -- none of the documentation seemed to work
- To: "Cygwin" <cygwin at sources dot redhat dot com>
- Subject: RE: Problem with root account, login, X, KDE, etc -- none of the documentation seemed to work
- From: "Ralf Habacker" <Ralf dot Habacker at freenet dot de>
- Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 09:39:25 +0200
- Cc: Malachi De Ælfweald <MalachiD at jBASE dot com>
1. Make sure, that you are using the last kde version (currently the beta 1).
2. please read the beta 1 readme installation part (The file kde-1.1.2-b1.README
in the sourceforges kde-cygwin project download area.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kde-cygwin/) There you find hints for get
running kde. In short:
1. Install cygwin/xfree/kde (with kdemisc) as described in the kde beta 1
2a. start a a bash shell and enter startx & or
2b. call the startkde1.bat in the cygwin home dir with explorer
3. KDM isn't supported yet. (is documented in the readme). I have recognized
this problem already, but currently had no time to fix this
> Von: firstname.lastname@example.org
> [mailto:email@example.com]Im Auftrag von Malachi De
> Gesendet am: Freitag, 24. August 2001 20:45
> An: 'firstname.lastname@example.org'
> Betreff: Problem with root account, login, X, KDE, etc -- none of the
> documentation seemed to work
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Corinna Vinschen [mailto:email@example.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 11:50 PM
> To: Malachi De ?lfweald
> Subject: Re: Cygwin Question
> Please ask Cygwin related questions on the appropriate mailing list
> firstname.lastname@example.org. Subscribing is easy by sending an empty email to
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 02:07:47PM -0700, Malachi De ?lfweald wrote:
> > Corinna,
> > I realize you're busy -- so I will try to keep this short.
> > I have been reading through your docs (inetutils readme, login readme,
> > website comments, forum comments, etc) and I just can't seem to get past
> > this issue.
> > I have tried everything I could find in any doc (yours or anothers), and
> > just isn't working.
> > >From within cygwin, I type "login". No matter what user (or domain\user)
> > use, it always fails. I have followed the docs regarding the mkpasswd,
> > mkgroup, environment variables....
> > The reason I am trying to do this is because I installed XFree86 and KDE.
> > am trying to run "kdm" (or even "xdm") and it just says that only root can
> > run it. But I can't log in as root (or even myself).
> > Any possible help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thank you,
> > Malachi
> Corinna Vinschen
> Cygwin Developer
> Red Hat, Inc.
> Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
> Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
> Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
> FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html