RE: Problems with path resolution

I just joined this list, and my question seems similar to Dan's. And
perhaps it is a mingw group question, but here I go... joining the hoards
of ignorant newbies bothering the list

In one of the gprolog makefiles an auxiliary program takes a path
and a filename as input. Built with cygwin1.dll, fopen() in the auziliary
program has no problem finding /usr/local/blahblah/foo.h , but using
-mno-cygwin, the same is not found. If I run the no-cygwin version outside
the makefile, and provide a relative path, it works fine, but the
no-cygwin version does not recognize the full unix-style path.  My cygwin
installation root is c:\cygwin.

Is there something dreadfully obvious that I am missing here?

Gerald