Re: press for cygwin

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 10:56:18AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:
>>Why not then just generate files named ".cgw" instead of ".tar.bz2",
>>and let cygwin setup.exe know that?  Then WinZip will most surely *not*
>>be able to naturally open these files (neither now or in the future)
>>and this whole discussion will be closed, as well as any WinZip-related
>>thread.
>>
>>Note that not all packages should use the new suffix; only essential
>>ones (like cygwin itself) so that the burden on package developers
>>would not be too bad: after all, once you've installed the basic cygwin
>>parts using setup.exe, I doubt you will go back to WinZip! :-)
>
>Somebody else mentioned this earlier -- and explained that Debian did
>exactly that.  ".deb" files are just ar archives, but .deb implies that
>they obey some sort of internal format standard ("CYGWIN-PATCHES" ?
>/etc/postinstall?  )
>
>I actually think this is a pretty good idea.

It does have merits except for the fact that you lose the ability to
distinguish between a .gz and .bz2 compressed archive.  setup.exe
determines the uncompression method from the name.  If it sees .bz2 file
it says "Bwhaha, this is a WinZip confuser archive.  I will uncompress
this file with great vigor".  If it sees a .gz file." it thinks "Oh
well.  I'll uncompress this but I'm not happy about it since the file is
recognizable to the evil GUI WinZip."

It's probably possible to add magic number detection to setup.exe to
circumvent this but then, once again, we're moving into development
areas that need more than just a good idea for anything to happen.

cgf