Re: Automake 1.5

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 07:47:12PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>I even submitted patches for libiberty to support both versions, but it
>was more or less ignored.  It seems the response was "we're sticking
>with 2.13"
>
>What?  Forever?
>
>I don't understand.  Help me?

I don't understand the sticking with 2.13 response either.  It seems
like there is a disconnect between the autotools maintainers and the
maintainers of the packages that they're trying to help.

However, it seems to me to be most politic for cygwin to follow the
herd rather than to lead it in cases like this.  If no one is moving
to 2.5*, for whatever reason, then maybe we shouldn't be using the
latest and greatest either.

When 90% of the world has switched to the newer tools, then we can
switch.  At that point we'll have a stronger case for switching,
I think.

cgf