Re: Grep & recursion

At 09:53 AM 9/12/2001, Ronald Landheer wrote:
>Hello (again) all,
>
>I think I've written about this before and not gotten an answer, but I
>could neither find it in a Google search, nor in my own archives -
>which, I should mention, were kinda destroyed two weeks ago :(
>
>I have three GCC compiler sets on my system: DJGPP, Cygwin and MinGW32 -
>the latter of which doesn't include grep. When I use the DJGPP grep to
>search for 'foo' in all my projects under my home dir (from the Bash
>command line that comes with DJGPP) I get a nice listing:
>-- BEGIN SNIPPET --
>bash-2.04$ grep -rnHi foo *
>(..) long, long list of stuff
>--- END SNIPPET ---
>Doing the same thing under Cygwin, I get this:
>-- BEGIN SNIPPET --
>Ronald Landheer@ALLY ~
>$ grep -rnHi foo *
>(..) local text files are searched (if any)
>grep: <any dirname>: Permission denied
>(..) normal response for Binary files
>--- END SNIPPET ---
>The versions are the newest available for either (2.4 for DJGPP, 2.4.2
>for Cygwin).
>
>The question: what causes this and what did I do wrong?
>
>Greetz!

Dunno.  You'll have to debug it to find out.  Personally, the complaints
about the directory aren't that surprising to me, although they are of
little value.  I personally wouldn't mind seeing the behavior you describe
for the DJGPP version with the Cygwin version, if you're willing to track
down the issue and supply a patch.