Re: Cygwin/XFree86 Build Speedup with Cygwin 1.3.3

Hi!

Monday, 17 September, 2001 Harold Hunt huntharo@msu.edu wrote:

HH> The native build time for Cygwin/XFree86 has been improved by roughly 33%
HH> from Cygwin 1.3.2 to Cygwin 1.3.3.  Building a full tree, with fonts, used
HH> to take 71 minutes; now it takes 46 minutes.  I believe this can primarily
HH> be attributed to one item in the Cygwin 1.3.3 release announcement, since we
HH> build using a tree of symlinks to the CVS tree (via lndir.exe):

HH> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2001/msg00112.html
HH> - Store symlink contents in extended attribute for speed, if possible.
HH>   (Egor Duda)

wow. i was performing my testing in a artificially created environment
where program did nothing but symlink resolution. it's nice to hear
that this change has substantial effect in real-life situation.

HH> Native building of Cygwin/XFree86 is now roughly half as fast as cross
HH> compiling under Linux, which is quite an improvement from cross compiling
HH> being 3 to 4 times faster.  It was really disappointing to see my P3-550,
HH> running Linux, leaving my Athlon-1200, running Cygwin, in its dust.  Both
HH> machines now build, without fonts, in roughly 29 minutes.

and i can't but attribute a part of this speedup to Chris' ongoing
effort to implement true vfork() in cygwin.