Re: using aliases for cygwin commands on win2k

On Tue, 2001-09-18 at 08:54, Anoop Ghanwani wrote:

> --- Robert Collins <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2001-09-18 at 08:37, Anoop Ghanwani wrote:
> > > I wanted to find out how to use aliases for cygwin commands
> > > on win2k.  The cygwin commands are located at c:\cygwin\bin.
> > > I don't run bash, but I still use commands such as ls, grep, rm,
> > mv.
> > > I would like to create aliases for these commands such as
> > > alias ls 'ls -lF' and so on.  How do I do something like this?
> >
> > Run bash/tcsh/ksh. Do not run cmd.exe.
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> If I do that, I lose the ability to start applications
> automatically by simply typing the file name.  For example,
> if I have a file try.doc, and I type try.doc at the Windows
> 2000 command prompt, it brings up Word with that document.

Ah, extra information that was not initially provided. We don't mind
read terribly well.

is useful reference for getting the answers you want.

If that is the _only_ issue, try using cmd /c start try.doc - it will
probably do what you want. Otherwise ask a windows list about doing
aliases there.

Rob