Re: Seeking Cygwin installer for the

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua Franklin" <joshuadfranklin@yahoo.com>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 7:49 AM
Subject: Re: Seeking Cygwin installer for the

> Read my post again. I was working on less than 10MB
> network space. The installer fits on a floppy. It's
> basically just the dll, ash, bash, and a few
> shell-utils so that somebody can figure out what
> cygwin looks like without having to do the big
> download.
> Doesn't even use full packages. It would be pointless
> to put that kind of minimal functionality into
> setup.exe

Well, setup is pretty minimial itself. Make the file formats supported a
conditional through a configure switch, and remove the unneeded mirror
selection, package selection and options dialogs through other
conditionals, and setup will be smaller still, and *your changes will
propogate*.

> BTW I've already got the setup src on my machine and
> am getting a feel for it. Hopefully I'll figure out
> how to patch something useful soon. I know a couple
> guys who like the cygwin shell but don't need
> compilers, squid, postgres, etc. and so I'm still
> interested in making minimal package-based installs
> easier.

Uh, like with package dependencies? so they select mutt and get only
what mutt *needs*. Yes, we've done that. It's still not released (Hey,
Chris, what's setup waiting on?) but all you need to do is customise
your setup.ini.

Rob