Re: German Win98, US Win95 keyboard --> no ;'` keys in Bash

Hi, Chris, :)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >Thanks for the kind words, and I hope we have a final resolution from
> >Chris/Corinna soon.
> >
> >Translation: Should there be a [no]right_alt_meta CYGWIN= option?
> >
> >If so, I would be glad to submit a patch with that functionality (I
> >think I have it lying around here somewhere...).
> >
> >If not, should the keyboard language vs. META translation code be
> >removed (i.e. revert to 1.1.8 keystroke interpreter)?  I could patch
> >that as well.

> I thought that you had things working to your satisfaction with the
> current code in Cygwin.

*I'm* satisfied. :)  My primary language and layout are both English,
so it works for me.

> How many failing bug reports have we had?

Two or three.  I'm afraid, however, that we will begin to see more,
especially from users whose keyboard primary language is English but
whose keyboard layout is non-English (international programmers, most
likely).

Marius was the perfect programmer to handle this because he's used to
working with an international keyboard.  I tried some ad-hoc testing
here and was befuddled pretty quickly in trying to get around some of
the "foreign" layouts.

> Has anyone tried to figure out why things aren't working right?

Not since 1.3.3 came out with Marius' enhanced META-translator.  I'm
hoping he's still lurking and can contribute to this discussion...
Please, Marius?

---Jason
jtiller@sjm.com

P.S. - I Cc'ed the M-Man on this one.