dd and AIT tapes

I am using 'dd' to copy from disk files and from 4mm tapes to AIT-1
tape.  The resulting files have extra bits;  specifically, 64 bytes of
zeros are added to the files.  I don't have this problem when writing
4mm tapes.  I am using cygwin 1.3.3 under Windows 2000.

I also have AIT tapes that I cannot read at all.  Admittedly, these
tapes are a little weird.  They were written with a DOS program
(autonomous collection trying to conserve power) and begin with two
EOFs, data, 4 EOFs, data (this wasn't my idea).  I can skip files with
mt, but when I try to dd I get
    0+0 records in
    0+0 records out
If I try two or three times, I also get "Permission denied".  I'm pretty
sure I'm giving dd the right block size.