Re: bash 2.04 can't complete ~/name if $HOME set to c:/users/foo?

   From: Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com>
   Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 15:53:11 -0400

   Lets try again.  Cygwin has several environment variables that it
   translates back and forth between MS-DOS and UNIX format.  Two obvious
   ones are PATH and HOME.

   When a cygwin process is first started, it translates these variables from
   MS-DOS format to UNIX format for its internal use.  In most cases, when cygwin
   execs a new process it converts these environment variables back into MS-DOS
   format so that the new process can see native MS-DOS paths.

I was wondering where those backslashes were coming from.
My xemacs is being started up with HOME=c:\home\jmincy - and I had to
put in an explicit cd in my .emacs to fix the path.

My autoexec.bat has the following two lines.

set HOME=c:/home/jmincy
set PATH=c:\Cygwin\bin;c:\Cygwin\usr\bin;c:\Cygwin\usr\local\bin;C:\PROGRA~1\MSOFFICE\OFFICE;%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\Tcl\bin;

Maybe a slightly tweaked improvement would be to do the dos/unix path
conversion only for environment variables that start off in DOS
format.  For my two variables, I don't want you messing with HOME,
since I explicitly wrote it in a unixy path format.  However, I'm glad
that you you are fixing the above PATH, since that has to be in dos
format so that the rest of windows works

-jeff