Re: ssh vs. ~/.ssh

Alright, I figured it out... finally just downloaded the source
and took a quick read through.

  1. At some point, I had created (and obviously forgotten about)
     an /etc/ssh_config file that pointed at //d/scott/.ssh for
     identity files.  So that's where that value was coming from.

  2. Then, to add to the madness, it still didn't work.  As it
     turned out, that was because I had deleted all of my ssh2
     keys leaving only an ssh1 "identity" file... and I guess
     the ssh client won't do ssh1 by default.  When I finally
     tried "ssh -1", hey, it worked!  So I regenerated ssh2
     keys, put them in the right places, and everything works
     great again.

Phew!

Thanks to the folks that offered help.

scott